Every solar PV system is made up of several components: solar panels (or ‘modules’), an inverter, a meter and your existing consumer unit. Zoom in on the diagram below to see how it’s all connected and understand how solar panels work.
How solar panels work
- The sun gives off light, even on cloudy days
- PV cells on the panels turn the light into DC electricity
- The current flows into an inverter, which converts it to AC electricity ready to use
- The current is fed through a meter and then into your home’s consumer unit
- Plug in and switch on. Your system will automatically use the free electricity you’ve generated, then switch back to the grid as needed
- Any electricity you don’t use is exported to the grid for others to use.